ADSM-L

Re: Encryption - logging

2006-08-16 10:32:00
Subject: Re: Encryption - logging
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:28:54 -0400
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:44:59 +0200, Henrik Wahlstedt <SHWL AT STATOIL DOT
>> COM> said:

> So my questions are: Is the possible to do automated encrypted
> backups but limit the restore functionality to thoose who knows
> encryption password?

The only people who can restore are people who can log into your
machine, and they can only restore files they can write.  I'm confused
about why I shouldn't be able to restore one of my files.

I'm poking that question because it feels like you're asking TSM to
enforce a security restriction you haven't been able to enforce
locally on the box.  Trying to prevent root@yourbox from restoring
something sounds like a tall order.

> How do I monitor restores on the TSM server in good way.

I haven't found a happy method.  Consider, the logging there could be
Really Extensive.  I don't want to list somebody's 3-million filenames
in my TSM serverlog.

- Allen S. Rout