ADSM-L

Re: Lots of newbie questions

2006-08-15 13:48:26
Subject: Re: Lots of newbie questions
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:26:06 -0400
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:04:11 -0500, Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT uiuc DOT
>> edu> said:

> Any opinion on archives vs. backupsets for a monthly snapshot kept for 6
> months?

Yes;  E) None of the above.

If you want a monthly snapshot, define a new devclass, with different
retention parameters;  perhaps:

verexists:  8
verdeleted: 8
retextra:   300
retonly:    300

This is slightly paranoid, with a little extra in each category.

Then define a FOO-MONTHLY node as an echo of each node FOO in your
normal management class.  Run the incrs for the -MONTHLY nodes, ....

monthly. ;)

You'll accumulate 8 versions with these settings, and since you're
only cutting new versions (at a maximum) monthly, you'll have 8
months.

I used 8 instead of 6 Just In Case someone runs an incr out of school,
so you don't the oldest version off the end of the queue.

For a more detailed level of "snapshot", you could set FREQUENCY=30,
and run incrementals against the -MONTHLY nodes every day.

This way you still keep 95% of the advantages of incremental-forever
processing, and still leverage the TSM database.

Resort to backupsets if your needs include restore operations
independant of a running TSM server, or independant of good network.

- Allen S. Rout