ADSM-L

Re: FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?

2006-08-08 09:01:15
Subject: Re: FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:00:11 -0400
We have always run IBM drives, and have never 'planned' for extra drives
to allow for drive failure. I have just upgraded from 10 to 16 drives in
the library, but that's a capacity and D/R issue. So far, I've had *one*
LTO-2 drive fail such that it needed replacement in just under two years
of use. We replaced, IIRC, two LTO-1 drives for not unloading/ejecting
tapes before IBM released a microcode upgrade that corrected the problem
-- and that was early in the lifespan of the LTO-1.

The biggest item to remember about LTO is that these are streaming tape
drives; if your system can not provide the data fast enough to keep the
tape in motion they have to stop, back up, and come up to speed again.
They aren't designed for that -- the 3592 drives are. That is the
biggest reason for the price differential.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc