ADSM-L

FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?

2006-08-04 12:39:49
Subject: FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:34:00 -0400
Hi Allen,

I've been VERY pleased/surprised at how durable IBM LTOx drives have
been overall.  LTO2 gave less problems than LTO1, and I think LTO3 has
had fewer problems than LTO2.   For many sites they are an EXCELLENT
value and totally appropriate for TSM use.

On the other hand, I doubt there are many TSM installations running
their LTO drives truly at a 100% duty cycle.

In my experience, there is NO QUESTION that the 359x drives are tougher.
I think most people are just willing to deal with occasional drive
outages in return for lower initial cost.

Things that I have personally experienced:

1) When LTO drives fail, they don't get repaired.  The CE just comes in
and replaces them.  They are essentially "BIC" drives - plastic parts,
no refills.

2) LTO MEDIA aren't nearly as tough as the 3592 media.  The tape has to
be pulled out of the cartridge by a little pin.  If that pin doesn't get
reseated properly (or if the tape has been jiggled too much during
shipping), the cartridge will jam in the drive on the next load.

3) If a cartridge gets jammed in a drive, the CE has to come remove it
for you.  He/she has to open up the drive and try to un-thread the
cartridge manually.  There is about a 60% chance you will lose the
drive, the cartridge, or both (see also #1 above).  When we had this
happen once (LTO2), we lost the drive, but the CE tried to save the
cartridge for us.  We loaded that cartrdige into another drive, and it
promptly jammed that drive, too.  Had to replace the 2nd drive as well,
throw the cartridge away.  For LTO3, I believe they have replaced the
threading motor, so this shouldn't happen as often.

4) If you look at TCO instead of initial cost, the 3592's may not cost
you significantly more.  What different sites pay differs these days
(all drives from all manufacturers are often heavily discounted).
Monthly maint for LTO may be HIGHER than for 359x (see #1 and #3
above!).

5) Another issue around TCO:  When you get ready to upgrade to get more
capacity, you have to replace BOTH the drives and media for LTO to get
additional capacity in your library.  For the 3592's, the next upgrade
is supposed to be drive-only, no replacement of media required.  For
many sites, the media is a SIGNIFICANT part of the cost.

So what I tell people who ask the question and haven't bought yet:

a) If you are going to push the drives really hard (in my opinion, that
means more than 12 hours per day), or if you can't afford to have a
drive down, or if you don't have the PEOPLE time to mess with failed
drives, you should be buying 3592's, because they are designed to take a
beating.

b) If you are located a long way from your IBM maintenance personnel,
don't even think about buying LTO; they WILL break.

c) As an alternative to (b) above, if you need 10 drives, buy 11 and
just expect one to be down at any given time.

d) If you have DLT drives now, you will be pleased and amazed at how
much more durable the LTO drives are.

e) If you have 3590 drives now, you would NOT be pleased at the relative
durability of the LTO drives.

f) I have never had a customer who bought 359x technology and later said
"gee, that was a bad choice".

My opinion, and nobody else's...

Wanda