ADSM-L

Offsitevolumes question

2006-06-29 02:44:43
Subject: Offsitevolumes question
From: Liliana Windver <liliana AT EMET.CO DOT IL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:29:47 +0300
Hi all,

I'm quite new to TSM so I'm sorry if my questions are maybe not appropriate but
in parallel with reading the books  I will try the list since from my
experience that help.
TSM server 5.2.6.4 on AIX 4.3.Have the following  script that running manually
by the Administrator with the intention to take tapes offsite to another
location.(We defined a copy storage pool OFFSITE_POOL).

update vol * access=offsite wherestg=offsite_pool location="Offsite site"
whereaccess=readwrite wherestatus=full

When we are looking at offsite list we  see there volumes that belong to
offsite_pull but the status is still "Filling"

1.How come volume belong to offsite_pool while it's still filling. Can I change
the storage pool? If yes to what storage pool to add it? How can I know the
history of volume (can I know to what storage poll it belongs before was taken
to offsite_pool?)

2. How are the recommended policies to take volumes offsite? Should we take the
volumes even they are not full and replace tapes with new ones? or wait and
take only full ones?

3. What or how can I be announced when to bring back the volumes from offsite
to the original site (expired retension?) in this cycle of tapes rotation?

Thank you in advance

Liliana

Liliana Windver
SW Support