ADSM-L

Can 64bit TSM client on 64 bit os overcome backing up large filesytems??

2006-06-26 16:54:30
Subject: Can 64bit TSM client on 64 bit os overcome backing up large filesytems??
From: "Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:53:57 -0500
I am having problems backing up a large filesystem on a win2003k server.
The backup is failing because its running out of memory which IBM says
is because of the 32bit os limitation.  Tried journaling but the server
is very busy and continuously gets buffer overflows and the journal
fails and I have tried tuning it as well but it still fails.  I have not
tried the image snapshot backup but I don't trust doing it on a 1 TB
windows filesystem.  So I was thinking of upgrading the server to
win2003k 64bit and loading the tsm 64bit client to backup the server to
overcome the 32 bit limitations.

Do any of you guys see a problem with that or will I still have the same
problems as before?

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are
addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender or contact Health
Information Management 312.413.4947.