ADSM-L

Re: Backing Up CIFS Share on Netapp

2006-06-22 06:11:19
Subject: Re: Backing Up CIFS Share on Netapp
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:11:22 -0600
We keep toying with the idea of NDMP, but there are some big cons in my
opinion to using the NDMP protocol.

1. No way to make copypool copies of data backed up through NDMP. Does
not meet our DR requirements.
2. All data in an NDMP session is bound to the same retention. No way to
"slice & dice" the backups so you can retain certain files for only a
few days and other data much longer. This causes issue #3...
3. Full-incr-incr...-Full backup methodologies can cause you to keep a
LOT more data depending on your longest retention.
4. TSM's implementation of  NDMP backups for q-trees/volumes is really
manual compared to other products we looked at (Bakbone for one).

        Those flaws keep us from implementing NDMP in our production
environment. We have expressed these shortcomings to IBM and they have
indicated that in the next major release of TSM in Q1 07 that they will
have "better integration with NDMP and the TSM storage hierarchy". It
sounds like perhaps they will address issue #1 in my above list so we
can resolve the DR issue.

        Perhaps we will make another stab at NDMP at that time, until
then, we continue to back the Netapps through NFS mounts whenever
possible and through the painfully slow CIFS protocol when Windows ACLs
need to be captured.

Ben