ADSM-L

Re: new AIX pSeries TSM Server

2006-06-22 05:45:29
Subject: Re: new AIX pSeries TSM Server
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:45:06 -0500

I'm planning to do so but will be be unable to until after the conversion :~(

The TSM Server move is the end of a series of projects which includes a new  CPU (IBM 2096-R07) and 2 new DASD units (IBM DS6800).  The TSM change was kind of thrown in at the last minute...once it was (finally) realized that our ZOS TSM server was using the majority (above 80%) of our current CPU and DASD.  I've been lucky enough to have been able to consider the mainframe as belonging to TSM.. instead of vice-versa :~).  The rising costs of third part software when moving to a bigger mainframe box forced us to look at our mainframe environment differently.   The big red light was TSM of course...and it just keeps growing & growing.  After searching and reading the list archives I was able to convince the powers that be to purchase an AIX TSM Server vs a Windows, which was the original plan.  There was just too much information in favor of the AIX server vs Windows...especially when considering the gro wth rate of our TSM environment.  Hopefully the learning curve won't be too painful..I'm actually looking forward the change :~).

But I do plan on taking a course or two this winter when things should slow down around here.

Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>