ADSM-L

Re: Disk speed, Windows.

2006-06-21 10:38:15
Subject: Re: Disk speed, Windows.
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:37:19 -0500
The question is a little vague, and it depends on how the disks are
configured.  Direct attached disks can be much faster than 30-40MB/sec,
and san drives also usually are.  We've got several netware servers with
direct-attached raid5 arrays getting 70-80MB/sec.  A similiarly
configured server, but attached to our ds4300 ibm san gets around
80-100MB/sec.  The san volumes however, are spread out across a lot more
drives, so they have an inherent advantage.

Generally, a 15K ultra320 hard drive can get at max 60-80MB/sec
throughput.  If you manage to architect it so that you're getting close
to maximum throughput out of multiple drives, the theoretical limit
would become the controller interface, or the bus that the controller is
on.  Ultra160 controllers are 160MB/sec theoretical, but more like
70MB/sec real-world, while Ultra320's double that.  San arrays are
typically on 2gb interfaces, for a theoretical max of 256MB/sec.  As
mentioned before though, I've never seen a single san volume get over
100MB/sec on its own.

>>> SHWL AT STATOIL DOT COM 6/21/2006 9:14:42 AM >>>
Hi,

How fast is Windows?

I have seen Windows TSM servers stream data in 30-40MB/sec with direct
attached disks.
What maximum speed can I expekt with SAN disks, (clarion)?

What about the maximum speed on Linux/Intel with DAS or SAN?

Disk configuration will matter but I only want to know what the values
might be.

Thanks
Henrik

intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of
the
information or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are not
the
addressee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete
this message.
Thank you.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.