ADSM-L

Re: TSM diskpool on SATA

2006-06-20 16:07:34
Subject: Re: TSM diskpool on SATA
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:06:17 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
John Monahan
> Hundreds of LVs with FILE devclasses on fibre disks would probably do
> exactly what you are looking for and provide excellent performance.
> SATA just isn't good enough at multiple, simultaneous I/Os to the same
> set of disks yet.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/20/2006
02:48:02 PM:
> Amen!
> Kelly J. Lipp

...to which I must add a fervent "So mote be it!". There are so many
technology companies that have jumped on the SATA bandwagon as the cheap,
mass, high-performance, high-availability storage solutions.

Well, two out of four pretty much sucks when it's *your* money (and
various anatomical parts) out there on the line. Yes, it is cheap, and it
does mass storage pretty well. But it was *never* meant to be a
high-performance, 24x7 solution. SATA was originally designed to be
touched on occasionally, as you would when you place seldom-touched files
in storage that must be easily available (unlike tape). Accessing data
frequently when contained in SATA storage is (at best) a questionable
practice; I would *never* use a SATA pool for a primary TSM storage pool.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
USBank MR Backup and Recovery Management