ADSM-L

Backing up UNC paths

2006-06-14 13:36:44
Subject: Backing up UNC paths
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:36:19 -0500
We just started upgrading our TSM clients to V 5.3.4, connecting to our V
5.3.3 server.

On one of our Windows clients, we've historically backed up one specific
folder via a UNC path in order to make that its own filespace in TSM. That
has worked perfectly for the three years or so that we ran V 5.1.

Yesteday when I tried to configure the V 5.3 client to perform the same
UNC backup, it wouldn't work.

Even though I was signed in as domain administrator, I couldn't select any
paths under "Network" in the client GUI.  Nor could I specify any network
paths in the client setup wizard.  I tried configuring with and without
Domain statements in dsm.opt file, and with/without Include statements for
the UNC path.  In no case could I see, specify, use, whatever, any UNC
path in the client or wizard.  This is a file server with about 100 Shares
in Windows, any of which should have been a candidate network backup path.

The manuals seem to indicate that what I'm trying should - still - work.
Any ideas on why it isn't?

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator