ADSM-L

Re: Migrating TSM (5.3.2.0) to new Windows box

2006-06-01 10:45:17
Subject: Re: Migrating TSM (5.3.2.0) to new Windows box
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:43:23 -0400
Ben,

You don't say, but are you moving to a newer AIX system, or a
different OS?  If you are staying with AIX, do you have the option of
connecting the new disks to the older system?  If so, you could
mirror the old DB onto the new disks, remove the old mirrors, then
export/importvg the disks to the new server.  I've migrated from
older AIX servers to newer ones several times and have never resorted
to a DB BACKUP/RESTORE.  I've always just unplugged the disks from
the older server and plugged them into the newer one.  Of course, I
always do a DB BACKUP just in case.

AFAIK, it's not possible to backup/restore a db from one OS to
another.  Someone correct me if the think this is incorrect.

..Paul