ADSM-L

Restore of AIX/Linux servers at DR test

2006-05-30 11:32:41
Subject: Restore of AIX/Linux servers at DR test
From: Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:32:02 -0400
Hi Everybody,

We are investigating ways of improving the way our servers can be restored at a
DR test. For AIX/Linux servers once the server's OS has been restored, how has
everyone's experience been at restoring application filesystems on UNIX based
systems ? For instance, let's say you have 20 servers having data ( aside from
the OS ) of between 100 and 150Gb. What is the best way to restore the data ?
We have caching turned on the storage pools so some of the data is restore from
our storage pools, but the majority of data is on tape and that tapes seem to
be the bottleneck. We tried using collocation on two servers, but by using
collocation and when multiple restores were launched on different filesystems,
TSM treats them as a classic restore and the restore becomes single-threaded.

Rich