ADSM-L

Re: SQL Select commands

2006-05-25 22:58:18
Subject: Re: SQL Select commands
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:00:41 +1000
Luc said

> Hi all
>
> I'm not that good with SQL commands .... is there any documentation
> available ...
>
> any idea ... thanks
>
> Luc Beaudoin
> Administrateur Réseau / Network Administrator
> Hopital General Juif S.M.B.D.
> Tel: (514) 340-8222 ext:8254

Laura said

> Where do you get the syntax information for the select statement?  i.e.
substr , etc. Thank you.

Andy Raibeck once put out an sql manual which was specific to the TSM
database.  I've lost my copy along the way so if you still have a link Andy
that would be nice!

But, whilst the TSM database is *not* DB2, it looks as if the SQL interface
was modelled on DB2 sql. Bear in mind that you only have a select statement
and that many of the more complicated subselection constructs are not
supported, neither is UNION.

but go to the DB2 infocenter
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.
db2.udb.doc/core/c0008880.htm

then under Reference, SQL you will find explanations of functions and
queries that may prove useful. I most recently used this when I wanted to
find the function that returns the day-of-month protion of a timestamp
because I wanted to run something different in my housekeeping script on the
9th of every month.  The function is DAY.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
AIX and TSM Admin