ADSM-L

backup performance

2006-05-19 14:21:46
Subject: backup performance
From: Mario Behring <mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:21:24 -0700
Hi list,

I´ve started a backup operation at a Linux client using CENT OS (similar to
RHat). The operation took 1 hour and 59 minutes to finish, and backed up 5.45GB
of data.............I think this is kind of slow......considering that the LTO3
tape unit is supposed to be very fast....

The TSM Server is 5.3.2 running on a W2K box and we have an IBM TotalStorage
Ultrium LTO3 (400/800GB) unit connected through a SCSI cable.

The linux server (the client) is a virtual machine running on a IBM x-series
366 machine under the VMWare ESX Server. The virtual servers (there are 23) are
all configured under this VMWare and are stored in a DS-4300 storage connecte
through FO to the x-series machine

I am using data compression.

Any ideas on how to make this operation faster ???

Thanks.

Mario