ADSM-L

Re: Windows BMR/ASR over Network w/o DHCP ?

2006-05-17 15:36:49
Subject: Re: Windows BMR/ASR over Network w/o DHCP ?
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:36:19 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/17/2006
02:27:41 PM:
> has anyone tried to get BMR/ASR working over the network w/o dhcp ?
> govt policy doesn't allow dhcp on certain network we have, and there are
> a few boxes we'd like to have BMR/ASR working but those only have a
> floppy drive and CD drive, so restore from local media is probably not a
> good idea ::winks::
>
> any idea if I can somehow bypass the dhcp and setup the ip/mask manually
> while the ASR silent installs TSM and have it work ?
> I'd appreciate your inputs,

The problem lies not with TSM but with Microsoft's implementation of ASR.
It requires a temporary IP address that you cannot place into a
configuration file to be picked up. Take heart, however; using TSM alone
(with or without the use of image backups) is adequate for bare-metal
restores of Windows without the hobble of DHCP servers or floppy drives.

[IMO, ASR is useless in most server room implementations, because good
system admins don't allow DHCP servers into their server environments; as
in Timothy's case, security considerations prevent this.]

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
US Bank MR Backup and Recovery Management