ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3.3 loaddb and audit problem

2006-05-17 07:09:33
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3.3 loaddb and audit problem
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 05:08:05 -0600
Richard,

I could not agree more on your stance regarding Dump/Load.  However, I'm
in Holland teaching a Level 2 class and have been surprised to learn
that a lot of my students perform this action as a matter of course on
their servers.  The objective is to reduce the size of aged TSM
databases.  In TSM 5.3 we have new functionality to determine if a db
reorg would reclaim a significant amount of space.  Then the Dump/load
is executed to get this space.  Do you suppose this new command is
encouraging us to do something that is high risk?  Alternatives?

I guess they've decided the risk is worth the potential gain.

I personally have not experience the problem so have not attempted this
solution.

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.