ADSM-L

Re: LTO Drivers for TSM

2006-05-16 11:57:14
Subject: Re: LTO Drivers for TSM
From: John Schneider <Schneider_JohnD AT EMC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:56:51 -0400
Mel,
        Even if we can point you to the drivers, the only time you would
know whether they were going to work or not was when you went to test, and
it would always be a point of worry any time you put on TSM or OS patches if
it was going to suddenly break your DR plan.  In the middle of a DR
situation is the wrong time to find out about incompatibilities.
        I had to do this very thing with DLT4000 drives (many years ago
now), where I had to bring a laptop with a SCSI cable and DLT firmware
update utility to our DRP tests, and save and reload the DLT firmware on the
DLT4000 drives provided by our DR vendor, so I could be sure they were the
same firmware rev. as the ones we had in production, otherwise they would
have problems reading the tapes.  I had no way around this problem at the
time, but it was a kludge of the first order.  We wasted six months and two
DR tests getting past this problem before we could do our first successful
restore.
        My recommendation to you is to go back to SunGard and explain the
situation, and insist on IBM LTO2 drives.  They may be stand-alone drives
not in a library, but that is better than messing around with drivers you
can't be sure of.  You can always mount the tape drives by hand in a DR
situation.  That is a small price to pay to get your data back.  Make sure
you keep reasonably up to date with the firmware on your drives, and expect
SunGard to keep reasonably up to date with theirs.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Technology Consultant - Backup, Recovery, and Archive Practice
EMC² Corporation, 600 Emerson Road, Suite 400, St. Louis, MO 63141
Phone: 314-989-3839 Cell: 314-225-9997 Email: Schneider_JohnD AT emc DOT com