ADSM-L

Re: Seeking thoughts on Cyrus email backup/restore

2006-05-16 10:43:42
Subject: Re: Seeking thoughts on Cyrus email backup/restore
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:43:22 -0400
>> On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:32:16 -0400, Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> said:

> We're a site who has been using IMAP with mbox style mail "folders"
> for a decade. It's obvious that as we boost mail quotas, mbox "does
> not scale". Thus, we are planning for a conversion to Cyrus, on
> Linux.

> [...]

UF: ~100K mailboxes in central store, ~500K daily deliveries to
    central store.  Some of that 100K are expired, over quota, etc.

Four cyrus back-ends, Each back-end has about 700-800G in 10
filespaces.  These are AIX boxen.

So my filespaces have 50-100GB each on disk, with occupancy averaging
between 1/3 and 1/2 TB, 3-7M files.

Highly recommend filespace collocation.

We figure on using AIX joural support in the future, but at the moment
we're doing periodic (5-minute) file-list incrementals on messages
that have been delivered / moved.  So we catch deletions on the daily
incremental, but back up new messages quite a bit more quickly.

Database is the bottleneck for me; I'm on old tech (SSA) so I've
separated each back end on its' own server.  Before I did that I was
not getting incrementals done in 24 hours, one of the impetuses
(impetusii? imputecera... Hmm.) for the file-list incrementals.

- Allen S. Rout