ADSM-L

Auditing Tools

2006-05-04 10:08:04
Subject: Auditing Tools
From: Doug Fox <dugfox AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:07:45 -0400
Hello,

I was put in charge of a large TSM system and I would like to perform an
audit. I am looking for the following types of information and I was
wondering if there's an easy or automated way of having this generated for
me. I would like to use a minimal amount of commands to get results from the
entire system. In other words, I don' t want to have to go to every node and
research them. I'd like to map out both my schedules and my pools with the
nodes.

Would there be easy ways to get the following informaiton?

Query a storage pool to see what schedules are defaulted to it.

Query a storage pool to see when it migrates during the day/week.

Query a storage pool to see how much data is backed up to it daily/weekly.

Query the library to find out the size of the last backup for x node(s).
This to my knowledge you can only check client side, but does the server
track the size of backups? (ex. server 1 backs up 125GB on a full backup)
does the server keep track of this at all or do I have to check client log
files for this info?

I've heard that using TSM Reporter can get most of this information. Are
there any user-made scripts that I can look for, since I'm not familiar with
complex SQL Scripts. ANY information you could toss my way would be greatly
appreciated. We're in the midst of transferring ownership and I would like
to know when things are being backed up, where, and how big they are etc. I
think any TSM admin woudl want this ;)

Thanks in advance, I realize this is a large request and I apologize.

-Doug Fox