ADSM-L

Re: Domino Backups

2006-05-02 06:36:25
Subject: Re: Domino Backups
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:34:12 +0100
Geoff

I believe that the purpose of the incremental schedule for Domino
backups is to 'catch' any new db's (.nsf files) that have been created
since the last Full backup or to backup any db's whose DBIID has
changed. Certain Domino functions cause the DBIID to change and the
outcome of these functions warrant a backup of that particular db.
Compaction or compression is such a function.

Therefore I would say that a node doing an incremental to a new server
with no previous backups, would treat all the db's as new and a Full
backup would occur.

Would it be possible to export the node from the current server to the
new server on the day of the migration.  Obviously if the occupancy is
considerably large, it may not be achievable in a day.

It might be possible to export only the active data. Thus giving the new
server a copy of all the db's and negating the need for a full, but also
minimising the amount of data on the new server.

I must admit to never having tried the export node allactive with a
domino filespace before, but I have no reason to believe that it would
not operate any differently.

Leigh