ADSM-L

Serveronly node loses address

2006-04-23 21:03:11
Subject: Serveronly node loses address
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:46 +1000
Hi all

I have a new client with a requirement that a box in the DMZ have no
open ports through the firewall.

"We can do that" I said, and set up the node with
SessionInitiation=serveronly and a defined IP address and port.

I ran a clientaction backup of a single directory and this worked,
but the schedule that night did not.
It turns out that the client will only respond to a schedule the
first time after the HLA and LLA have been set on the server. The
second (and I assume subsequent times) the scheduler tries to contact
127.0.0.1, with notable lack of success :) - Q node still shows the
right HLA and LLA, but the scheduler is ignoring it.

The short term fix is to run an admin schedule 5 minutes before
scheduled backup that sets the HLA and LLA on the node.

Has any one else run across this?

Client is windows 2000 Server 5.3.3.0
Server is Windows 2003  5.3.3.0

Steven Harris