ADSM-L

Re: Reduce DB & Log Size

2006-04-21 03:04:34
Subject: Re: Reduce DB & Log Size
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:53:38 -0500
The only "weight loss program" for the TSM DB, other than getting rid of
unneeded stuff, is expiration. Make sure it is started daily, and let it
run a long time. I start it as soon as DB backup ends, and then cancel
it with CANCEL EXPIRATION just before the next DB backup is started.

With my 200GB database, tuning for expiration is a prime consideration.
Either DB backup or expiration is always running.

Eventually, there will be no other choice except to add a volume and
EXTEND DB. If you're almost at 100% now, you most likely have to do that
first, and then you can fiddle around with increasing expiration.