ADSM-L

Tivoli DB limit

2006-04-20 17:37:42
Subject: Tivoli DB limit
From: Gaurav Marwaha <gaurav.marwaha AT EMAGEON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:28:20 -0500
Hi,

Problem:
        We have a huge file system with about 30 to 50 million files to be
backed up, the incremental backup does the job, but takes too long to
complete, out of these 50 million files, only 20000 or so actually change. So
the scanning runs sometimes into 24 hour window and the next scheduled backup
starts without actually completing the previous one.

I found filelist parameter where you can specify what to backup, we can use
this as we know from the database what files were changed.

Someone tells me that the Tivoli DB can take only 100million objects for
tracking and filist might not be a correct way to do it. He says there is DB2
lite running behind TSM and that has this limit?

In this scenario what is the best approach and is there is a limit at all?
Even in normal incremental operation how does TSM scan the include directory
list, I mean even when it runs normal incremental doesn't that 100 million
limit still exist?

Thank you in advance
Gaurav M