ADSM-L

Re: tape capacity

2006-04-20 14:24:38
Subject: Re: tape capacity
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:18:14 -0700

> It also makes no sense if estimated capacity is 400GB, and the
> drive is
> capable of supporting that, it only reports 200.

>Sure it does... The native capacity of LTO2 is 200 GB (plus or minus
>a tad, depending upon the actual length of the individual tape).
>Think of a tape as containing 200 billion cells, and no more: the
>tape is incapable of holding more units than that. If the incoming
>data is compressible, the drive can store a representation of that
>original data and use fewer "cells" doing it, and *effectively* store
>more data on the tape.

The way the LTO2 drives seem to be working is that although the compressions
settings within TSM are the same, and the servers were just migrated from
one server to the other, if the tape were listed 20/40 it is only storing 20
instead of 40GB. That is not what the 3590 is doing. I would have expected
to see this same data on a tape listed at 200/400GB closer to the 400GB
compressed value and not the 200GB value.

So I think the question still remains how to reach that upper limit instead
of the lower? Is there a TSM setting I have missed? Is there a drive setting
that needs adjusting on the drive itself?

Q devcl
Device        Device         Storage     Device        Format      Est/Max
Mount
Class         Access            Pool     Type                     Capacity
Limit
Name          Strategy         Count                                  (MB)
---------     ----------     -------     ---------     ------     --------
------
LTO           Sequential           3     LTO           DRIVE
DRIVES

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator