ADSM-L

Re: collocation groups

2006-04-20 13:34:51
Subject: Re: collocation groups
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:29:04 -0400
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:50:56 -0700, "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT
>> SAIC DOT COM> said:

> If 10 nodes are in one group will it only mount one tape even if no other
> tape drives are busy?

Yes; one stream per collocgroup, just like you would get one stream
per node. (even if you're collocating by filespace, he grumpily
grumped)

> If I have a directory disk pool that is cached will it still go to
> one tape after migration or will collocation groups affect that?
> What I see leads me to believe the answer is yes. I am seeing
> multiple tapes for the directory tape pool with little to no
> data. Do folks still use this option?

[no clue]

> Why do tapes that are not full show capacity of 381GB yet when they
> go full only show about 200GB? Do I need to force compression on
> with the drives or something? (LTO2's, 3584 Lib)

The unfull tapes just parrot back to you the Estimated Capacity you
set on the device class.

If you're getting 200G on a LTO2, might you have set the devclass
FORMAT to be something other than DRIVE? It sure sounds like you're
writing uncompressed.

- Allen S. Rout