ADSM-L

LTO3 Woes

2006-04-20 00:08:34
Subject: LTO3 Woes
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:07:04 +1000
Hi All

I have a client with a new installation TSM 5.3.3 on Windows 2003 on
IBM x346 and 3583 with 3x LTO3 Drives.

I initially had some issues with the tape drives because one of them
had been connected to the internal SCSI bus and that not only was not
supported, it caused multiple tape errors.

So, I corrected that - the library manager and one tape drive are on
one adaptec SCSI adapter and the other two drives are on another
adapter - and we're running through doing initial backups of about
7TB of client data, bit by bit each night.  But the tapes seem very
unreliable - I had two with errors night before last and one last
night.  These also make the housekeeping run very slowly so I'm not
getting it all done.

Last night's tape was first used yesterday afternoon on drive0, then
again at 16:00 on drive2 then overnight again on drive0.
Its now showing errors being read on drive0, so its a bit hard to
isolate the problem.

The tapes are all new Imations - I could not get IBM branded ones in
a timely manner.

Has anyone had problems with new LTO3s? Any suggestions as to what to
do next are welcome.

Steven Harris

AIX and TSM Administrator