ADSM-L

Re: primary tape volume audit

2006-04-19 08:10:26
Subject: Re: primary tape volume audit
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:03:13 -0400
On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Timothy Hughes wrote:

I have a tape that I did a (audit volume xxx fix=yes) on.
It produced the results below. I had a similar problem with another
tape I did a Audit command but then the files keep showing up in
the server log as being skipped during the tape's reclamation from
what I read this is because files that are marked as damaged cannot
be moved by reclamation. Then I used the restore volume command
(I used preview first) after that completed successfully I could
not locate the volume in question. I checked the server log and was
marked destroyed??? I would like this volume to be used again
Is there a way to have it put back in the pool. ...

As documented, the Restore Volume command itself marks the volume
Destroyed as part of its processing. Upon successful conclusion of
the restore, a scratch volume will return to scratch state (do Query
LIBVolume); and the volhistory, which had an entry for the volume as
STGNEW, will have a new entry as STGDELETE.

Further use of the volume can be be attempted, but certainly the
volume is suspect. A full tape write exercise via tapeutil or similar
utility would be wise. The problem cause may have been a tape drive
issue at the time of writing, rather than a media issue. We don't
know your library, drive, or media types, but depletion of cleaning
tapes in a library can certainly contribute to errors resulting from
contamination.

   Richard Sims