ADSM-L

Re: Define 3584 Library & LTO2 Drive

2006-04-14 10:10:04
Subject: Re: Define 3584 Library & LTO2 Drive
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:59:04 -0400
Geoffrey --

Def libr 3584lib libtype=scsi
Def path tsm1 3584lib srctype=server desttype=library device=/dev/smc0
online=yes

Def <your device class> devtype=LTO format=drive mountlimit=drives
mountwait=<pick a number> mountretention=<pick another> library=3584lib

Your path and drive definition are correct, providing /dev/rmt1 really
is the first drive.

Do lsattr -El rmt1 and look at 'ww_name'; the last digit is the drive
number, 1 through c (12) and the next to last is the column number, 0
through c (12). So a ww_name that ends in '01' is the first physical
drive in the library, '02' is the second, and so on. This may not be the
sequence AIX defines the rmt numbers in.

For example, I have two fiber switches and I've got the odd-numbered
drives in switch 1, the even numbers in switch 2. AIX walks switch 1
first, then switch 2. So my rmt numbers, in drive element sequence, are
rmt0, rmt5, rmt1, rmt6 . . . and so on.

If you logically partition your library -- there is no change in the rmt
number or ww_name for the drives, but you will get a new /dev/smcX
related to the lowest-numbered drive in the second library. You do need
to define the correct devices and paths for the second library, but
drive 9 is still drive 9 with the same element number -- just in the
'other' library.

I'm caffiene-deprived this morning, so I mave have just confused things.

HTH -

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc