ADSM-L

formatsize and volumes in diskpool

2006-04-13 20:05:00
Subject: formatsize and volumes in diskpool
From: "J. Sum" <jsummer21 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:41:29 +0000
This is a qustion of what is the best or right way to adding volumes to a
diskpool, specifically about "formatsize" option.

I have a primary diskpool which has 2X5GB volumes on 2 harddrives. Now I
have about 100GB free space ( 2 X 50Gb harddrive ) I want to add to the
diskpool.

My question is:

a. Do I need to keep the formatsize the same as the existing volumes? Say,
specify 20 X 5GB volumes and add to the pool?

b. If say no to question a. Do I better to create 10 X 10GB volumes or 2 X
50Gb volumes? does that affect performance if the the volumes are on
different HDs?

c. Just with to confirm the command to do so is:

def vol <stgpool-name> <file-in-partision> formatsize=<mb>

Thanks in advance for your advice

JinGsuM.