ADSM-L

Re: Netware FAS Volume

2006-04-13 09:44:36
Subject: Re: Netware FAS Volume
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:40:36 -0500
I'm not familiar with Network Appliance FAS devices, but I do know the
volume name seemed odd to me.  The first reason is that you preceded it
with a /.  Generally on netware the volumes are labeled like this,
NDPS:
He should be able to see how netware is labeling the volume by doing a
"volumes" command at the server prompt.  Whatever shows up there, add a
colon to the end of it in the DOMAIN statement.

The other thing I wondered about is whether this volume name worked ok
on directly attached storage?  NDPS is an actual novell product name,
and as such, I'm not sure if it's a "reserved keyword" that's not safe
to use.  Could test that by creating a small dummy-volume with a
different name, and seeing if that shows up better.

>>> SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV 4/12/2006 5:58:29 PM >>>
We are migrating Netware file/print data from an existing SAN to a
Network Appliance FAS device. The Netware volume in question is named
/NDPS and, apparently, the Netware administrator is unable to see that
volume when he attempts to run a backup.

Is there anything special that has to be done to backup Netware
volumes
residing on a NAS device? He supposedly put the /NDPS: in his DOMAIN
statement, but I haven't yet seen his OPT file.

Anyone out there doing this with the standard Netware client or is it
possible you can only do this using NDMP?

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corporation
(858)-581-9668

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.