ADSM-L

Re: Library full (SOLVED)

2006-04-12 10:34:25
Subject: Re: Library full (SOLVED)
From: Michal Mertl <michal.mertl AT I DOT CZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:29:01 +0200
Following up to myself, because others may benefit from the answer too.

I wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been running TSM 5.1.9.5 on Windows using Overland LoaderXpress
> LXL1U11 SCSI LTO tape library for long time but haven't really been
> doing anything with it. It was set up by someone else and I was only
> checking from time to time that it seemed running. We had the library
> replaced (because we suspected a problem on it) and from that time on I
> have been trying to clean the old mess up (learning on the fly). The
> library mostly worked but froze from time to time. I got the suspicion
> that it froze when doing audit library and when it tried to read the
> cleaning tape. The library vendor told me to change some settings on the
> library - set reserved slot and autocleaning. This way the machine
> connected to it won't be able to trigger the problem with cleaning tape
> because it will be hidden to it.
>
> The problem is that after changing the configuration of the library we
> have problems with checking in the tapes.
>
> I had 8 tapes in there of which only couple was used. I had lot of tapes
> in the query volume which I wanted to consolidate. Therefore I removed
> the empty scratch tapes with a series of "checkout libv LibraryX LabelX
> checklabel=no remove=no" and replaced the tapes with the old ones. I
> then run audit library and it finished sucessfully.
>
> But whenever I try to check in a tape I get "ANR8314E Library LibraryX
> is full".
>
> I was thinking that the TSM may have problems with the changed library
> (it had 11 stots before, now it only 10). I deleted the drive, library
> and paths and created them again. Therefore I lost all the remaining
> volumes and the situation is the same - I can't check in any volumes.
> The audit library command finishes immediately with success.

I can check in the tapes now. I did lot of changes (in the settings of
the library, removing and recreating the TSM devices (drive, library and
paths) and I also physically removed one tape from the library.

I am not 100% sure but it seems that TSM insists (at least with this
kind of library - no input/output ports)) to have a physical slot free
to allow a check-in operation to succeed. It also seems to me that it
doesn't touch the hardware at all during "audit library" if there isn't
any tape checked-in the library.