ADSM-L

Re: Resend - Policy and DRP question

2006-04-11 12:32:14
Subject: Re: Resend - Policy and DRP question
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:29:33 -0600
        I'll take a stab at this.

You now keep 10 versions of a file and you do a daily backup. It sounds like
you want to be able to guarantee your ability to roll back or recover the TSM
the server to 10 days ago. If that is the case you would need to make sure that:
        - The "delete volhist" command was changed to keep 10 days of DB tapes.
        - The resuse delay on empty tapes should be set to 10 days also.

        And yes, you will want to keep the last 10 days of DB tapes offsite to
meet your DR objectives.

        In our situation, our default management class keeps "up to 5 copies of
a file up to 30 days. And we keep the last couple versions for 180 days once a
file is deleted." Does that mean we should keep 30 days worth of DB tapes? No.
we keep a week's worth of DB backups offsite for DR because we could never
really seeing ourselves rolling back the TSM server 8 days. It think that 1 or
2 weeks is pretty standard for folks on this list.

Ben