ADSM-L

Re: 3494 & Media Type

2006-04-11 11:10:44
Subject: Re: 3494 & Media Type
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:04:43 -0400
Been there done that.
If cleaning the barcode sticker doesn't fix it, do this:

Put your rejected tape back in the I/O station, and WATCH what slot the robot
tries to put the tape in.

As you may know, the 3494 doesn't read the barcodes while the tape is in the
I/O door.  It grabs a cartridge, puts it in a library slot, THEN reads the
barcode.  We have problems sometimes where a row of library slots sags a bit.
And bar codes aren't all quite the same- depending on who you bought them from,
they can actually be slightly different sizes.

So what I see is this:
The 3494 will try to put a cartrdige in a particular slot, be unable to read
the barcode, then stick it back in the I/O door.
Repeat with the next tape, and the next, because the 3494 will always try to
put the next cartridge into a particular empty slot.

Then it will hit a tape from a different batch of barcodes, and be able to read
that one because the bar code is slightly different.
So it leaves the tape in the slot, and the particular slot is now full.
So next time you put the rejected tapes back in the door, the 3494 will be able
to read them because the 3494 is sticking them into different SLOTS that are
aligned better.

You can usually kind of see the problem if you watch it try to read the barcode
(and the empty slot is near enough to a glass door!).
The fix is to identify the problem slots, and have the CE re-align them (or
realign the barcode reader).
You will probably find that the problem slots are all in the same area.

Over the life of our 3494, we've had to have the bar code reader shimmed a
couple of times.
(And we have non-IBM CE's also; who never do any PM on the 3494.  Ugh.)