ADSM-L

Re: 5.3 questions

2006-04-11 10:59:14
Subject: Re: 5.3 questions
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:53:43 +0100
I am not using 5.3 so can not really comment. But on the CLI vs GUI debate,
whilst I agree that a working knowledge of the command line interface is a
necessity, the GUI can be very useful for admins like me for whom TSM admin
is just maybe 10% of my job and keeping up with all parameters and flags is
never going to happen.

Farren
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Mark Stapleton            |                                           |
|   <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM|

|   >                         |                                         To|
|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                         AD|
|   Manager"                  |                                         SM|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |
-L|
|                             |                                         @V|
|   11/04/2006 15:42          |                                         M.|
|                             |                                         MA|
|         Please respond to   |                                         RI|
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                                         ST|
|             Manager"        |                                         .E|
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |

|                             |                                         cc|
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|                             |                                         Re|
|                             |                                         : |
|                             |                                         [A|
|                             |                                         DS|
|                             |                                         M-|
|                             |                                         L]|
|                             |                                         5.|
|                             |                                         3 |
|                             |                                         qu|
|                             |                                         es|
|                             |                                         ti|
|                             |                                         on|
|                             |                                         s |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/11/2006
07:32:20 AM:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
> > I'm finding that the more I use the console the more I dislike it.
>
> All I can say is: embrace the command line admin tool, because it didn't
> barely changed between 5.2 and 5.3, and is much more flexable over a
slow
> link.

We've been over this CLI vs. GUI issue before. There are those TSM admins
out there that are more comfortable with the help features and
fill-in-the-blank processes of the GUI, and then there are those that
truly learn all of the parameters and flags of the TSM command set by
using the command line. (Of course, using the CLI is much easier when you
can touch type at a decent speed--a skill set that I feel is absolutely
critical for a decent admin of any flavor.)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
MR Backup and Recovery Management

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications
privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you
are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally
prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise
disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and then
immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.