ADSM-L

Re: Random Access Disk Pools

2006-04-06 10:12:18
Subject: Re: Random Access Disk Pools
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:08:37 +0200
Hi Rod!
TSM stores backups as aggregates. An aggregate can contain multiple
client backup files. The client files within an aggregate will expire
over time and thus occupy space within the aggregate.
When you use a file device class or a tape, you can reclaim the wasted
space these expired files occupy within the aggregates by moving
unexpired files to new aggregates. This is done through reclamation.
Since reclamation is only available for sequential acces storage pools,
you cannot reclaim diskpools and thus the wasted space within an
aggregate will only be reusable when all the files in an aggregate are
expired and the aggregate is deleted. If you have backups with a very
long retention in your shop, it could take quite some time before an
aggregate becomes completely empty.
Hope this clears thing up for you.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon