ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server and clients with 2 NICs

2006-04-05 17:55:19
Subject: Re: TSM Server and clients with 2 NICs
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:52:22 -0400
On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Mario Behring wrote:

Hi list,

I am installing a second NIC (GBIC) on my TSM Server and some
clients (servers) to create an alternative network, a faster and
more reliable one, in order to reduce my backup window for some
critical servers.

The original NIC will still be used for workstations and some non-
critical servers backup though.

What steps should I take to configure both the TSM Server and
Clients to use this second NIC ?

Any help is appreciated.

Mario - You'll find this topic heavily discussed in the List archives.

Without a description of your new configuration, it's tough to
advise, but we'll assume you're using a LAN rather than SAN (and
putting up with traffic contention).  Where client and server are
both multi-homed, you have the ability to employ TCPserveraddress on
the client to direct traffic through a different subnet to at least
achieve network balancing.  I used this approach when one of our
ethernets was saturated, and it worked well.  In the server
definition of a node, you can specify an HLaddress to explicitly
define the network address and thus implicit path to the client.  In
gigabit ethernet, you have the ability to define jumbo packet usage
to optimize throughput.  Troll the archives, and have a look in the
various TSM tuning documents that area available.

   Richard Sims