ADSM-L

Re: Migrating to a Library Manager

2006-04-04 14:00:40
Subject: Re: Migrating to a Library Manager
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:55:19 -0400
>This can really accellerate experiments.

Fortunely, I am able to experiment since the 3584 is new
and not in production.  So I've been able to set up
a test environment to experiment with.

After figuring out now to do this we get to do it
on our production tsm servers with 3494 libraries.  I'm
taking advantage of new/expanded hardware to test this
process before it goes into production.  At the end, I'll
have a shared 3494 (existing lib) and a shared
3584 (new, being used for this testing) between two
library clients and a library manager.

Thanks for the help . . . will let you know how it goes.

Rick

             "Allen S. Rout"
             <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: Migrating to a Library Manager

             04/03/2006 08:10
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

>> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:32:22 -0500, Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
>> said:

> 1) check the tapes out of tsm2t
> 2) delete the library (and drives and paths) from tsm2t
> 3) define the library (and drives and paths) in tsmlm2, and as a shared
> library in tsm2t
> 4) check the tapes in to tsmlm2.

What he said; I've done this.

Additional knob-polishing, lily-gilding, etc:

Remember that you don't have to REMOVE the volumes on checkout, and
that you don't have to check the label when you check them in.  This
can really accellerate experiments.

Remember also that it's easy to get back to the state of "everything
checked out, and library gone", so you can get it wrong several times,
and ry again with very little cost.

While this is an intimidating process since it's so uncommon, it's not
really either complex or dangerous.

- Allen S. Rout

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.