ADSM-L

Re: TSM server automation products

2006-04-03 20:35:36
Subject: Re: TSM server automation products
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:27:40 -0400
>> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:00:52 +0200, Jurjen Oskam <jurjen AT STUPENDOUS DOT
>> ORG> said:

> Our TSM environment is too small to justify that niceness, since the
> Perl-code keeps everything running virtually maintenance-free. But
> yes, I think there are many installations where these off-the-shelf
> products really are quite benificial to have. (I guess the vendors
> are quite happy with the ISC/AC-behemoth :) )

The thing about the 3rd-party packages is: they can give a novice TSM
admin the utility of an experienced apprentice. This is a HUGE
front-loaded win.  Many installations never need more than apprentice
level clue, and if they can replace training a resource who might
leave, with purchasing a product, that's good.

The long term cost is that, in order to become a journeyman, the admin
must go back and learn all the crystalized clue that the admin package
put at her disposal.  To the operator-novice, this feels like a huge
waste of time: every 'next hour' could be better spent using the
interface at apprentice effectiveness, rather than going back and
being a novice.

[generalization of rant to GUIs in general and Windows in particular]

This is why I feel that an open-source admin toolset, which would
eventually accrete some of the crystalized clue of this august body,
would be a Good Thing.

The hood wouldn't be welded shut, as proprietary packages must be to
make their nickel.  This would make it that much easier to move from a
novice-operating-an-interface through apprentice clue ("What -really-
happens when I push the 'Health Check' button?")  into journeyman
status ("Dangit, I want to check that the veblefetzers are
renoberated, too!  code.. code.. code..")

- Allen S. Rout