ADSM-L

lto drive swapout oddity

2006-04-03 12:50:37
Subject: lto drive swapout oddity
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:37:50 -0500
TSM server v5.2.7 on Windows2003

I swapped out our HP LTO-2 drives for HP LTO-3 drives this weekend,
which mostly went ok.  Did have an issue where the tsm 5.2.7 device
driver didn't recognize the drives, but that was fixed by installing the
tsm 5.3.2.4 device driver.  I also updated the "LTO" device class to be
ULTRIUM3C, instead of the ULTRIUM2C that it was previously.

Problem is that I'm not certain it's behaving as lto-3 should.  I'm
getting messages similiar to this....

ANR9999D pvrotherlto.c(281): ThreadId<50> Could not
        determine media type, using drive's highest known
        format

during morning processing.  I also did some quick math on how long the
process took vs. how much data it moved.  It appears that my transfer
rate is 17MB/sec, which is exactly what the old lto-2 drives were.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.