ADSM-L

Re: Retention of the Volume History

2006-03-31 11:35:48
Subject: Re: Retention of the Volume History
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:32:21 -0500
>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:56:31 -0500, Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT
>> COM> said:

> I am trying to figure out how long to keep my volume history for....
> I had been keeping it for 30 days, but is there any reason to keep
> it longer than that?  Thanks!

"How long do I keep volhist" is related to "How long do I set
reusedelay", both of which are subsidiary to "How far back in time am
I willing to revert my TSM server in the event of a problem?".

If you have a 25-day-old database backup, but your REUSEDELAY is not
set to at least 26 days, then when you -use- the 25-day-old database,
some unknown amount of it will be invalid.  Ick.  Audit everything?

I suggest deciding on the "How far back am I willing to contemplate
recovering my TSM server" value first, and then setting both
REUSEDELAY and the length of volhist retention with that in mind.

So, if you want 4 days, then set them both at something a little more
than 5.  If you want 30 days, set them both at something a little more
than 31.

- Allen S. Rout