ADSM-L

Backup images of a SAN volume

2006-03-31 00:25:27
Subject: Backup images of a SAN volume
From: Bob Booth - UIUC <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:15:33 -0600
I have a problem, and will stick my neck out and ask the group if anyone
has tried this, or has a solution.

We have an 'appliance' that runs a 'BSD type' OS, which will soon be
connected to our HP EVA 5000 storage array (SAN).  I need to figure out a way
to backup a snapshot image of the volume with TSM.

Our first attempt, connecting a Solaris box to the SAN, exposing the snapshot
to it, then performing a 'dsmc backup image /dev/dsk/xxxxxxxx' failed with
an 'open error'.  I also tried it with -imagetype=dynamic, but I assume it
is failing because the TSM client is trying to recognize it as a Solaris
disk volume.  Format can see the partitions on the volume, but complains that
the label is invalid (as one would expect).

Our next attempt will be with a Linux OS, or a BSD variant, but I am wondering
whether my idea is dead out of the gate.  I was hoping that 'image' might
mean, 'I don't care, I'm just dumping bits'.

Has anyone tried this?  Is there anything out there that might work, or
am I totally wasting my time?

How to we backup raw images from a SAN or NAS using TSM without NDMP?

thanks in advance!

Bob Booth
UIUC