ADSM-L

Re: Deleting RMAN catalogue file

2006-03-29 14:44:11
Subject: Re: Deleting RMAN catalogue file
From: Neil Rasmussen <rasmussn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:38:38 -0800
Rich,

TDP Oracle backups are stored on the TSM Server (for Unix TDP Oracle
clients) as follows:

        /filespace//Oracle_backup_piece    *note: notice the empty
highlevel

I have never tried the expire command from the TSM server so I do not know
if is possible, although I believe it would be.

Do these backup pieces still exist in the RMAN catalog? I only as because
there is the 'tdposync' utility that will allow an administrator to delete
backups that still exist on the TSM Server but have been removed from the
RMAN catalog....this might help your situation.

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
Software Development
Data Protection for Oracle
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
03/29/2006 10:59 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Deleting RMAN catalogue file

Hi,

I'm having some trouble trying to delete a few RMAN recovery catalogue
logfiles. My DBA is unable to delete them in Oracle, but I would like to
delete the in TSM. I know I can use the expire command to do so but
because of the RMAN "virtual" filespace in TSM I'm unable to.

Info :

Filespace Name: /adsm-rman
FSID: 78
Client's Name for File: // lf_TRCV02_573465621_530_1

When I try running expire /adsm-rman/lf_TRCV02_573465621_530_1 I get the
following error :

Backup files will be expired.  Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y
ANS1302E No objects on server match query

Expire processing of '/adsm-rman/lf_TRCV02_573465621_530_1*' finished with
 1 failures.

When I check the dsmerror/log file , I get the following message :

29.03.2006 13:51:21 ANS1302E No objects on server match query

I know the file exists because it is located on one of my onsite tapes. I
tried using the wildcard * at the end of the filename thinking that the
filename may be truncated but that is not the case. How can I delete this
file ?

Rich