ADSM-L

Big file stuck in disk stgpool

2006-03-25 13:11:20
Subject: Big file stuck in disk stgpool
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:11:00 -0600
I have a typical arrangement of a disk storage pool, that migrates to a
tape storage pool. Both storage pools have a MAXSIZE of 10G because we
simply don't want to back up files larger than that. They tend to pin
the log, they're a bear to manage, and usually they're some kind of
music or video. But I don't want client backup sessions mounting tapes
directly, because that is inefficient use of the tape drives, so I want
all files to go through the disk storage pools.

Migration wasn't migrating very well, so I looked around, and there were
a bunch of 12G files stuck in there. Migration was repeatedly failing,
saying they exceeded the limit for the tape storage pool, which is true.

How'd they get there in the first place? I can get rid of them now that
I've identified them, but how can I keep this from happening again?

===================== Nothing exceeds like excess ======================