ADSM-L

Re: New TSM Server, DB and STG POOL question

2006-03-16 06:07:29
Subject: Re: New TSM Server, DB and STG POOL question
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:05:30 +0000
Hi again

I have just been having a look at the powerpoint presentation and it says
that the 'cleanup backupgroups' job runs as part of an upgrade to 5.2/5.3
anyway but that it can increase the length of time to covert the database.
However, I have already tested going from 5.1.6.2 to 5.2.2.7 on this new
server an the upgrade only took about 15mins (I only have a small database
of 15GB). So do you think I can be confident that this is OK, or should I
add the 5.1.10 step anyway?

Thanks

Farren Minns
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Dirk Kastens              |                                           |
|   <Dirk.Kastens@UNI-OSNABRUE|                                           |
|   CK.DE>                    |                                         To|
|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

|   Manager"                  |                                         cc|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |

|                             |                                    Subject|
|   16/03/2006 10:34          |                     Re: [ADSM-L] New TSM  |
|                             |                     Server, DB and STG    |
|         Please respond to   |                     POOL question         |
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                                           |
|             Manager"        |                                           |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Farren,

Farren Minns schrieb:
> TSM 5.1.6.2 on Solaris 2.7 - moving to 5.2.7.0 on Solaris 2.9

One point is missing: you should first update the old server to TSM
5.1.10 and run a "cleanup backupgroups" before you go to version 5.2.x.
Theres a good PowerPoint presentation:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21214007&aid=1
Then you could a) upgrade the old server to 5.2.7 and do the migration,
or b) install TSM 5.1.10 on the new server, do the migration and upgrade
to 5.2.7. That's what I did (I went to 5.3.2). Our new server is much
faster than the old one. So I thought it was a better idea to let the
new server do the software upgrade.

> 1) Do I really need to delete and redefine the drives,libray,paths etc?

I didn't have to delete the drives etc. For restoring the db on the new
server you only need the library and one drive defined in your new TSM
server. After restoration (or before) you can define the other drives.

> 2) Do I really need to run the 'checkin libv' commands.

No. You also do not need to copy the dsmserv.dsk to the new server. This
could be confusing if you have different db and log volumes defined on
the new server. You will need the volume history file so that the
"dsmserv restore db" command will know what tapes to use. You can check
it with "dsmserv restore db todate=today preview=yes"

--
Regards,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.