ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 web gui

2006-03-07 02:44:20
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 web gui
From: Volker Maibaum <volker.maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:42:41 +0100
Hi,

I would also agree to that! The opening of the API to the community
would be the best IBM could do.
We have here one TSM Server and I (as the administrator) do most of the
work in the command-line. We have some people in the operating that also
do a few things like drm, querying processes, etc in the gui. It doesn't
make sense to put up a new server running websphere for this. With an
open API it would be easy to make a fast web tool fitting out needs.

The IBM has proved that they are not able to build useful user
interfaces. I just have to look at how they do server virtualization.
When you use vmware esx server you have one consistent quite fast web
interface for all tasks you need (running on the same server). When you
use a p550 for virtualization you have a HMC server with an ugly, slow
and unstable Java GUI, a command-line over ssh on the HMC, an extra web
gui for the ASM menu and a VIO server with command-line (with a shell
were you can't use backspace by default and where the up-key doesn't
show the last command).

I better stop now....

Volker