ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 web gui

2006-03-06 15:07:55
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 web gui
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:07:16 -0600
I guess I just don't understand all this fracas about TSM's web
interfaces.

The old (pre-5.3) browser interface was barely adequate; it worked after a
fashion, but had some incredibly annoying default behaviors, and finding
some commands were frustrating. And why in heaven's name would I want to
use the 5.3 browser interface? Shall I go through the list?
        expensive (in terms of resources)
        slow
        lacking in functionalilty
        designed to be minimally usable
        slow (This should be listed twice.)

The theory that the ISC will be the "pane of glass" for multiple IBM
software packages is attractive, but will not  make a dime's difference
for 90% of TSM sites for the foreseeable future. As it stands now, all IBM
software that uses an ISC must have its own ISC instance.

I've been a command-line advocate for years. Simple, easy to use, and
obviously designed to separate the professionals from the wanna-bes.
Granted, there are some skill sets necessary to make the CLI usable, like
being able to type and knowing the TSM command set decently well. But if
you're a TSM administrator, you'd best have those skill sets anyway.
(Never did understand why anyone would hire an administrator that cannot
touch type 50+ wps.)

If all of the current GUI-type interfaces disappeared tonight, I wouldn't
lose a moment's sleep about it. If someone manages to design a fast,
intuitive, easy-to-use, useful browser interface, I'd be the first to
applaud. Hell, I'd be the first to pony up myself to buy one. (And, before
the existing interfaces' advocates/salesfolk-in-disguise pipe up, NO, your
interface isn't what I described above.)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
US Bank MR Backup and Recovery Management