ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 web gui

2006-03-06 13:56:50
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 web gui
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:55:12 -0500
>> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:55:32 +1000, Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT
>> INFO> said:

> Please, IBM, document the new admin api and open it up to us so we
> can write out own tools in PHP, perl, Erlang or whatever else we
> want.  It will allow *us* to develop the interfaces *we* need, and
> as you must maintain the API for the ISC anyway it will cost next to
> nothing.

Um. "Me, Too" ?

It seems IBM's got an opportunity here, to co-opt an absolutely huge
amount of community work.  I could see targeted third-party apps for a
huge scale of "users" (TSM admins), ranging from handholding for the
admin who wants to remain ignorant, to the intricate mechanisms
pedants like me tend to generate.

All for free.

And then, N years forward, if someone has clearly captured the spirit
of the TSM admin in a web app, IBM can just buy them.

My money is on no clear winner; we're still fighting Emacs/VI, and
that's the skill-class of users you're dealing with.

- Allen S. Rout
- You have to ask?  EMACS, of course.  M-x administer-storage-server ;)