ADSM-L

Re: Novell Backup Errors

2006-03-02 09:04:21
Subject: Re: Novell Backup Errors
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:03:21 -0600
At this point I would advocate testing it yourself to be sure.  I never
did a "q tsa nds" (I did do a "q tsa" however), and my eDir backups have
been working fine.  Patrick seems to have had a different experience
though, so it could be determined by some unknown detail like tsm client
version, tsa version, netware version, patch level, etc.  When it comes
to something like this, I'd say do whatever it takes to be sure.

>>> Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US 3/2/2006 7:23 AM >>>
Just to add,

If "nds' is not being backed up is there a need to do a "q tsa nds"?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsmc.doc/ans30000312.htm

> > Troy Frank wrote:
> >> My confusion was the use of "q tsa nds" during setup of the
client,
> >> since it's not necessary to make nds backups work. All you need
for
> >> that is to add NDS: to your dsm.opt DOMAIN statement.
> >

> > But you still have to provide a NDS user and password to backup
the
> > NDS
> > with at aome point. Using "q tsa nds" lets you specify that
> > userid/password combo from the prompt instead of having a
scheduled
> > backup sitting there waiting for that information. :-)
> >

> > Also, oddly
> >> enough you've gotta be careful to try older tsa versions also. I
> > always
> >> try the newer first, but for the last several versions things have
> >> tendency to break, then be fixed, then break again in the next
> > version.
> >>
> >> One thing I forgot to ask previously was what netware
version/patch
> >> revision he's at. I'm assuming he's at some rev of Netware5 given
> > the
> >> tsa he's using, which also leads to questions about what kind of
> > volume
> >> vol1: is (tfs/nss). He may want to run a vrepair, or nss
poolverify,
> >> just to make sure all's well with the filesystem. Might also be a
> > good
> >> idea to run a full repair of the nds partition that this server
is
> > in.
> >>
> >> Troy Frank
> >> Network Services
> >> University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
> >> 608.829.5384

> > <snip>
> >

> > Confidentiality Notice follows:
> >
> > The information in this message (and the documents attached to it,
if any)
> > is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for
> > the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is
unauthorized. If
> > you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution
> > or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
> > prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message
in
> > error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and
the
> > documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may
have
> > created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank
you.