ADSM-L

Re: Fiber attached tape drives

2006-03-01 15:36:18
Subject: Re: Fiber attached tape drives
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:34:58 -0600
David,

If I understand your issue correctly, then I think you can use the AIX
'chdev' command like this:

chdev -l rmt5 -a new_name=rmt8

This lets you assign an rmtx name of your choice to each tape drive.  I
use this to set drive device names to rmt1 thru rmt8 rather than using
the default rmt0 thru rmt7, and to make the drive names match the
physical order of drives in our 3584.

Regards,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917

>>> deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU 03/01/06 2:11 PM >>>
I have fiber attached 3590 tape drives in a 3494 library. I am running
TSM 5.3.2.0 on AIX 5.2 ML6.  The WWN and Serial number of the drive is
stored in the TSM DRIVE definition. The AIX device name (/dev/rmt?) is
stored in the PATH definition.

I am also running TSM StorageAgent on three other AIX boxes so TSM
also
has PATH statements connecting a drive to the appropriate rmt device
on
each of the storageagent boxes.  Since the serial/wwn is at the drive
level and the device name is at the path level, the drives have to be
assigned in the same device name order on each of the boxes.  I don't
know of a easy way to do that.  The only way I know to do that is to
zone one drive at a time to each box and do cfgmgr inbetween each so I
can control which drive gets which rmt.  This is a major pain.  Is
there
an easier/better way to force the drive mapping to be the same across
multiple AIX machines?

David